installing ethernet drivers and a kernel ?

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Fri Oct 29 20:56:10 UTC 2004

jdyke wrote:
> Rick Stevens wrote:
>
>> Red Hat 9 is dead.  Red Hat end-of-lifed it in April.  It is now only
>> being supported through the Fedora Legacy project.  Red Hat actually
>> only supports the Enterprise-series (Advanced Server, Enhanced Server,
>> Enterprise Desktop and Workstation).
>
> Yea, i know.  But folks here seem to think RH9 is more stable then FC2,
> so i'm doing what they want.  Especially since we're supporting it 100%.
> Got any good arguments for me to change their mind?  I'm using FC2 at
> home, and have had great luck, except with bind, FC2 kept killing named,
> i changed it to my oldman RH8 box and its been rock solid.

named runs as a chrooted process, so if you don't have the
/var/named/chroot/named directory set up properly, it won't run.

RH9 isn't any more stable than FC2.  As to why change to FC2, a few
ideas are:

	Newer 2.6 kernel
	Context switches are faster
	Memory management and elevator code is mondo better
	Process control is better
	Multiple threads run smoother
	Weirdo device support is better
	Custom kernel builds are a bit cleaner
	It's currrent (RH9 is really quite old)

[snip]
>>     http://fedoralegacy.org/download/fedoralegacy-mirrors.php
>>
>> You will need to fetch your update RPMs from there from now on.  I'd
>> suggest you download and install yum and set up the yum.conf file to
>> make updates easier.  Newer versions of up2date also can use yum
>> repositories.
-                   "The bogosity meter just pegged."                -