disk space

karlp at ourldsfamily.com karlp at ourldsfamily.com
Wed Sep 8 04:12:11 UTC 2004

> I prefer grub for several reasons:  It's capable of dealing with more
> operating systems than lilo can, you don't have to remember to run it if
> you tweak the config file and it's a bit more flexible.

Stupid as it might be, I like grub because it looks nicer on boot... 8^}

and nice to hear from you, Mark.

> Well, yes and no.  If you use filesystem labels rather than device names
> in your /etc/fstabs or loader configs, you can have issues.  I'd leave
> the drives jumpered however you wish but make sure that your boot loader
> doesn't use the "root=label=/" stuff, but rather uses "root=/dev/hdxn"
> format.  Also make sure you modify each system's /etc/fstab to use the
> device names also.  Nothing will confuse things more than having a
> "/usr" filesystem label on two drives then specifying "LABEL=/usr" in
> the /etc/fstab.  Which "/usr" will you get?  It's unpredictable.

This system is production, as I said, so keeping the drive in the machine
is really a temporary thing. I don't use labels, but rather /dev/hdnnn
names, so I'll do what you said, Rick.

Also, I'm planning to moth-ball the 8gb drive anyway, and get another 30GB
drive and then will have hot-swappable, albeit IDE 'warm-swappable' drives
for crashes. I've run this server on two platforms, save disk, for 5 years
without neglible down time. Usually my fault...

Thanks,

Karl