disk space

Mark Knecht mknecht at controlnet.com
Wed Sep 8 14:30:44 UTC 2004

Rick Stevens wrote:
>> Rick,
>>    Hi. Long time.
>

> Hi yourself!  Where have you been?

Oh, I'm here but not much to say I guess. I still run RH9 on one machine
but haven't the need to move it to Fedora. All of my newer machines are
Gentoo now. Source code seems to build easier in that environment.
Important for newbies like me.

This list has gotten so quiet as folks have gone to Fedora.

>>    I've never done this sort of copy, but most of the threads I've
>> read seemed to strongly suggest that you need to boot into some form
>> of single user mode in order for this to be successful. Would you agree?
>

> Yes, you want the filesystems to be as quiescent as possible when doing
> the copy.  Ideally, you don't even want them mounted, so single user
> mode (or rescue mode from the CD) is a good idea.

Thanks for clarifying. Makes sense.

>>    It is my assumption that since Karl wants to copy 'rh v8.0' that he
>> really is copying the system drive. Maybe I'm wrong about that?
>

> I don't think so.  I think he's trying to create a hot swap type of
> thing in case something goes whacko and gronches the running system.  He
> can then boot the other copy and recover that way.  Sort of a quasi-hot
> swap.  I do it all the time.

Humm...interesting. So I need to go by 4 new hard drives for my house
now? These will become my 'just in case drives' I guess... ;-)

Sound slike a good idea for companies with money. I just slap my audio
work on a DVD and figure I'll deal with a system crash when (not if) it
happens.

>>    Anyway, I've wondered this sort of stuff myself.
>

> It's useful if you do experiments as I do.  Of course, I also have a
> machine with removable drive bays and spare drives in carriers.  It's
> not hot swap (certainly not with IDE), but it works.

Thanks for the info. Good to see you, Karl, Bob and others still hanging
around.

- Mark