Printer Installation & Printing on redhat

Larrys Account larry.cotton at ntlworld.com
Tue Sep 14 18:59:56 UTC 2004

Not sure whether this message got through and I forgot to put a subject on
it - so sending it again. Apologies if it is a repeat.

Hi

I've just got an Epson stylus C66 printer and I'm trying to set it up as a
local printer.
I'm using red-hat 8, kernel version 2.4.18-14.

I would like to use CUPS as my printing system and the printer uses a USB port.

I have the usb-uhci usb driver installed.
/sbin/lsmod | grep usb gives:
usb-uhci               26188   0 (unused)
usbcore                77024   1 [printer hid usb-uhci]

I've tried to add the printer using the Printer configuration too (System
Settings->Printing) using the following entries:
Queue name: epsonC66
printer device: /dev/usb/lp0
driver:            Epson->Stylus C60->gimp-print(*)

But when I do a Test print I get a dialog with the message:
There was an error trying to print the test page.

Could someone help me with how to go about troubleshooting this.

I don't really know anything about the printing process, so I'm not sure
exactly what components are involved and therefore what components I need.

 From what I've read I need to have some sort of spooling software daemon
(I'm wanting to use cups - I'm currently using one that came with redhat),
a filter that can translate the print job data into printer commands
(apparently a filter, foomatic, is used with CUPS) and a driver that is
compatible with the printer (gimp-print, I think should work).

I have a few questions (listed below) that have come up while I've been
trying to get printing to work. Does anyone has any answers, or can tell me
where I can start looking to get the information ... ?

1) It seems the epson stylus C66 is not explicitly listed in
linuxprinting.org. This was an oversight on my part, having looked and
thought that all the C6* series were listed. My searches over the internet,
however, have suggested that the C66 works using gimp-print. Am I correct
in that assumption or is it not possible to use C66 with linux ?

2) Could anyone tell me how CUPS, foomatic and the gimp-print driver fit
together. Am I likely to need to install new versions of them ? And if so:
     Where are they located on redhat ?
     How to I find out what versions I have ?
     Where can I get compatible versions from with instructions on how to
install them ?

3) The CUPS documentation talks about PPD files that describe the
capabilities of the printer. Where are these stored under redhat and where
might I be able to get hold of one for the  C66 ?

4) Are there any log files I can look at that might give me some more error
information ?

Cheers
Larry