Fetchmail 6 question

gerrynix gerrynix at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 16 21:17:04 UTC 2004

--- Rick Stevens <rstevens at vitalstream.com> wrote:

> gerrynix wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I'm attempting to resolve a fetch prob (someone else's box).
> >
> > It appears the config files are OK. Manual polls work
> > fine... Mail lands in the correct boxes. However, automatic
> > polling doesn't seem to be working. The thing is running
> > in daemon mode as below.
> >
> > root 14355 1  0 14:25 ? 00:00:00 /usr/bin/fetchmail -d 60 -a -f /
> > etc/fetchmailrc -L /var/log/fetchmail
> >
> > The logfile confirms the 60 second poll and is error free.
> > fetchmail: sleeping at Thu Sep 16 14:55:09 2004
> > fetchmail: awakened at Thu Sep 16 14:56:09 2004
> > fetchmail: sleeping at Thu Sep 16 14:56:12 2004
> > fetchmail: awakened at Thu Sep 16 14:57:12 2004
> > fetchmail: sleeping at Thu Sep 16 14:57:15 2004
> >
> > and on and on, but no exchange... of course there is mail
> > waiting :-)
> >
> > What am I not seeing?
>
> Without seeing the fetchmailrc, we can't tell.  As it is shown (and
> unless there's "user so-and-so here" clauses in the fetchmailrc),
> the
> daemon will try to fetch mail for the root user only.  If you want
> it to
> fetch mail for all users, then you must have "user blah here"
> clauses to
> set the user names it's supposed to fetch mail for.

This is the /etc/fetchmailrc... but doesn't the manual
poll look here as well by default? Manual (server) polls
work fine. It is absolutely determined that the address
is correct.

poll "adsl-xx-xx-xx-xx.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net" protocol POP3 : user
"ron" there with password "******" is "ron" here ;
(no CRs and password is clear text and confirmed)

This is an example of an existing ~/.fetchmailrc
perms are 600

poll xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (as above)
        proto pop3
        user "ron"