writing grub to mbr to hda with Windows XP

Graeme Nichols gnichols at tpg.com.au
Sun Sep 19 03:15:21 UTC 2004

Hello Folks, I have been fortunate enough to be able to upgrade to a new
machine, 3G P4, 200Gb HD 512Mb RAM. This machine came with Windows XP
Home preinstalled with the 200Gb HD divided into 3 partitions, the first
partition being 95Gb with the Operating System and programs installed,
second partition 85Gb containing all the installed software for a
complete re-install to original settings and the third partiton
containing all the drivers.

To get my FC2 on to this machine I removed the second HD which contained
my FC2 from my old machine and installed it in the new machine and
booted up using my boot floppy. As FC2 was booting it removed the old
hardware etc. and installed the new etc. I logged in and all was
perfect.

Now my question is; can I write grub to the mbr of hda which contains
the XP install without mucking things up? I seem to recall that XP
doesn't like Linux bootloaders. Am I correct?

All advice welcomed. Be nice to get grub working.

Kind regards, Graeme Nichols.
Endless the world's turn, endless the sun's spinning Endless the quest;
I turn again, back to my own beginning, And here, find rest.