Ideas for dial in line sharing?

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Mon Sep 20 23:23:49 UTC 2004

Harold Hallikainen wrote:
> I've got a single phone line that I'd like to use to dial in to a RH8
> machine and set up a ppp connection (from my cellphone). This same line
> goes to other telephones, answering machine, etc. I'm thinking the RH8
> machine could watch for a ring (either the word RING or a high on the RI
> pin). It would then start a timer. If it rings again between 30 and 60
> seconds later, it would answer as a data call. Otherwise it would not
> answer. When I want to dial in, I'd call the line, let it ring once, then
> hang up. I'd wait 30 seconds, then dial out with the modem capability of
> the cellphone. Ideally that call arrives in the 30-60 second period and
> the RH8 machine tells the modem to answer. Does this sound workable? How
> are others handling incoming calls on lines that are shared as voice
> lines?

Ye GODS!  Yes, you can do something like that, but basing it on timing
(especially with a cell phone) is dicey at best.

The better idea is to get one of those automatic switch thingies that
lets you share a computer, fax and phone (it looks at the incoming call
and determines if it's a fax call, a modem or a voice call, then routes
it to the appropriate jack).  They're only about $100 US or so.

Sample product: http://www.mcstel.com/musilishdest.html

A google search for "telephone line sharing" will probably reveal more.
-          Consciousness: that annoying time between naps.           -