Building a new computer

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Mon Sep 27 18:32:59 UTC 2004

Bruce McDonald wrote:
> Hello Rick
>
> On 23-Sep-04, you wrote:
>

>>>So, I ask any Hardware people here.  Do you believe the motherboard would
>>>work with registered memory?
>

>>I'm not certain if it will or not.  I'm not using registered memory in
>>mine and the system seems quite happy.  I'd suggest trying non-
>>registered, name-brand RAM (Kingston, etc.) first.  If you have
>>problems, THEN think about the registered stuff.  Why spend money you
>>don't need to?  Just make sure you can return the regular RAM if it
>>doesn't work.
>>- Rick Stevens, Senior Systems Engineer     rstevens at vitalstream.com -
>>- VitalStream, Inc.                       http://www.vitalstream.com -
>>-                                                                    -
>>-           Fear is finding a ".vbs" script in your Inbox            -
>

> I figure that some of the problems I am having with my windows box (the
> current one) could be due to memory problems.  I was thinking that maybe
> registered memory would alleviate those.  Of course, it could be solved
> with XP.   I don't think I would have worried about it if the machine was
> only going to run Linux.
>
> Maybe I will try it your suggested way and save some money.
> Thanks for the suggestion.

First things first, Bruce.  Boot the first CD in the Fedora set and run
memtest86 to verify that your RAM is good.

By the way, the Opteron motherboard I have is the Asus K8V-SE, not the A8V.

- grasshopotomaus: A creature that can leap to tremendous heights... -
-                                                ...once.            -