Grub question (Ahem....help! Now it just says 'GRUB')

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Tue Sep 28 02:50:33 UTC 2004

> > OK, I now see Imissed on important piece of info. SC7 was installed in
> > the MBR, and grub was installed (I think) on hda5. The boot process is
> > to boot SC7, and then from SC7 choose Windows or Linux. If Linux, then
> > it jumps to grub and I get the grub choices.
>
> I figured you'd have to complicate things. :-)

<blush>

> > > I think that's irrelevant to GRUB.  Only your BIOS cares about that.

> > > I don't know.  Rick probably does.

I know Rick uses System Commander/Partition commander, but I'm unsure
as to his use of their boot tools. He may use grub, or he may do it
like I do. On a properly set up machine it's nice to use their tools
as you have partition control at boot time, but that's jsut my
preference. I was usign this tool set before I started with Linux. It
was the only way to boot multiple copies of Windows. Later I jsut
added Linux in the same way.

> > > I'd say to boot with your distro disk #1 into rescue mode, let it
> > > mount your system on /mnt/sysimage, pop out the CD, and then
> > >
> > >  chroot /mnt/sysimage
> > >  grub-install /dev/hda
> >
> > This, I think, would put grub in the MBR, wouldn't it?
>
> Yes.  I've seen precious few reasons not to.  Yours may be one.
>
> > If so that's
> > not what I want to do, or at least I think I don't. I still want to
> > boot SC7 first. How about
> >
> > grub-install /dev/hda5? (Or should it be hda7 since that's the
> > partition that caused the problem when I moved it. That'swhat I'm
> > confused about. What did grub really put on /dev/hda7?
> >
> > Or possibly grub really is on /dev/hda5, which moved successfully, but
> > then moving hda7 caused grb to get confused? Does grub look at the
> > actual location that the root partition exists at, or does it just use
> > the partition number. (What I thought...)
>
> That's beyond my level of expertise.  Rick Stevens can chime in here.
> The most important thing I can guess is that GRUB should be installed
> on whichever partition is marked bootable.  (Yeah, now it matters, I
> think.)  I still can't say which partition it should be.  The Fine
> Manual
>
> http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-9-Manual/ref-guide/s1-grub-installing.html

Thanks,
Mark