Grub question (Ahem....help! Now it just says 'GRUB')

Mark Knecht mknecht at controlnet.com
Tue Sep 28 20:45:46 UTC 2004

Rick Stevens wrote:

> You need to check the fstab and see if you're using labels or partition
> numbers.  If you use partition numbers, moving hda7 may cause it to not
> mount.

I am using partition numbers. Good info from Stuart seems to go a long
way to explaining what I've been dealing with.

> My laptop still has SC7, but it's not active (it's been grubified), so
> I can't really get into it right now.

That's perfectly OK.

This is the same laptop where some months ago I was unable to run system
commander from the drive and you pointed out I could boot form the SC7
CD and get to partition commander. It was RH9/Win XP, became Gentoo/XP,
and is now triple booting Win XP/Gentoo/FC2 as I compare how FC2 works.
It's been far too difficult deal with RPM dependency hell to keep RH9
working well. Gentoo is better (to me anyway) for building from straight
source, but the PlanetCCRMA site is doing some things with FC2 kernels
that I want to test out.

> Remember, the BIOS of your machine will pass control to the MBR of the
> primary drive.  Whatever is installed there is then responsible for
> booting the rest of the stuff.  For grub to do the full boot duties, it
> needs to be installed in the MBR of your primary hard drive.
>
> If you want SC7 to do the booting, it must be installed on the MBR of
> the primary hard drive.  grub must be in the root directory of whatever
> partition you tell SC7 contains Linux, and you must tell SC7 which
> partition that is.  It's usually pretty good at figuring it out, but
> double check.  For most people, this would be the partition that
> contains the /boot directory.

SC7 is installed and booting XP, but was failing on Gentoo's grub due to
moving the partition /dev/hda5. Installing FC2 on a new set of
partitions, with it's own grub on /dev/hda8, and telling SC7 to make
hda8 bootable brought FC2 alive and allowed me to get both FC2 and
Gentoo working just fine.

> Sorry for my inactivity on the list the last few days, but it's been a
> bit, well, "farking crazy" here.

Not a problem at all. Life calls, the list waits! ;-)