Grub question (Ahem....help! Now it just says 'GRUB')

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Wed Sep 29 01:24:16 UTC 2004

Mark Knecht wrote:
> res gzq wrote:
>
>> Where do you find:
>>
>>   fstab ?
>>
>> John
>>

> Not sure I'm following but
>
> /etc/fstab
>
> ??? Is that what you mean?

Yes.  You must look at /etc/fstab on the system that's being booted.
This may require booting off the CD in rescue mode if the /etc/fstab
uses drive identifiers for filesystems that are necessary for booting
(e.g. /, /boot and /usr) and those identifiers no longer match the
partitions.

In other words, if the /etc/fstab says something like:

	/dev/hda1    /boot   (blah, blah)
	/dev/hda2    /       (blah, blah)
	/dev/hda7    /usr    (blah, blah)
         /dev/hda5    /var    (blah, blah)

and you swapped hda7 to hda5, then the system won't be able to mount
/usr correctly (it'll mount /var as /usr) and stuff will break big time.

Now, if fstab use labels instead, such as:

	LABEL=/usr  /usr     (blah, blah)

this isn't a problem, as the system will look for a partition that's
labeled "/usr", regardless of where it is.  This is the ONLY time that
I think labels are OK.  Generally, I avoid them like the plague.
-    "Hello. My PID is Inigo Montoya.  You `kill -9'-ed my parent    -
-                     process.  Prepare to vi."                      -