Linux to Linux

brad.mugleston at comcast.net brad.mugleston at comcast.net
Wed Apr 6 04:00:29 UTC 2005

Rick,

Please see below for my results

Brad Mugleston, KI0OT

There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those that
understand binary and those that don't.

On Tue, 8 Mar 2005, Rick Stevens wrote:

> brad.mugleston at comcast.net wrote:
> > On Mon, 7 Mar 2005, Rick Stevens wrote:
> >

> > > brad.mugleston at comcast.net wrote:
> > >
> > > Peachy.  Essentially, your /etc/exports file on the server would look
> > > like:
> > >
> > > 	/home/brad	192.168/16(rw,no_root_squash)

DONE

> > > To manually start the NFS server code:
> > >
> > > 	/etc/rc.d/init.d/portmap start
> > > 	/etc/rc.d/init.d/nfslock start
> > > 	/etc/rc.d/init.d/nfs start

OK no problems reported

> > > On the client, you'd add lines to your /etc/fstab that look like:
> > >
> > > 	nfsserver:/home/brad	/mountpoint	nfs	rw 0 0

Did this replaced nfsserver with my ip 192.168.1.103 and
mountpoint with /brads

> > > If you have that in /etc/fstab, the following two commands will start
> > > the NFS client code and automatically mount any NFS volumes it finds
> > > in /etc/fstab:
> > >
> > > 	/etc/rc.d/init.d/portmap start
> > > 	/etc/rc.d/init.d/netfs start

Tried this and got the error:
	mount:192.168.1.103:/home/brad failed, reason given by
server: Permission denied

> > > If you don't have any entries in /etc/fstab, mount the stuff via:
> > >
> > > 	mount -t nfs nfsserver:/home/brad /mountpoint

Tried this with the same error

I tried changeing the nfsserver to nfsserver and the machine's
name but same error

> > > If you wish to make these permanent (start NFS server processes and
> > > mount them on the NFS client), then you can do the following:
> > >
> > > On the server:
> > >
> > > 	chkconfig --levels 2345 portmap on
> > > 	chkconfig --levels 2345 nfslock on
> > > 	chkconfig --levels 2345 nfs on

OK no errors

> > > On the client:
> > >
> > > 	chkconfig --levels 2345 portmap on
> > > 	chkconfig --levels 2345 netfs on

OK no errors

BTW - I can now ping between the two machines.

Question - if I get this to work I'll need to hard code the IP
address - how would this work if the IP was assigned on boot like
it is now?

> > > Note that this is only for NFS file sharing.  See "man exports" for
> > > details on the /etc/exports file and "man 5 nfs" for the available NFS
> > > options for /etc/fstab and the "mount -t nfs" command.  If you wanted to
> > > do it via Samba, I think you already know how since you apparently share
> > > that stuff with Windows already.  Just think of the Samba shares as
> > > Windows shares.
> > >
> > > As to the printer, run the printer manager GUI stuff on the machine
> > > where the printer is attached ("system-config-printer" under FC2/3).
> > > Double click on the printer you want to share, then click on the
> > > "Sharing..." button at the bottom of the "Edit a print queue" box.  Put
> > > a check in the "This queue is available to other computers" and "All
> > > Hosts" should show up in the list of allowed systems.  Click on "OK",
> > > then click on the "Apply" icon in the "Printer Configuration" box to
> > > restart the queues.
> > >
> > > Wait a few minutes for the shared queue to get broadcast, then go to the
> > > client machine and bring up its printer manager.  The queue from the
> > > server machine should show up in the "Browsed queues" list.  Just double
> > > click it, select it as the default, set up the queue name and driver and
> > > you should be good to go.
> > >
> > > Note that the printer(s) exported from the server will be running the
> > > "IPP" protocol (internet printing protocol, TCP/UDP port 631), should
> > > you need to access them from a machine that doesn't have a GUI or that
> > > can't browse queues on the net.  If you need to access it via a URL,
> > > "ipp://printserver/queuename".  RFC 3510 describes the IPP URL.
> > >
> > > Hope your brain doesn't bleed after all that!  :-)
> >

> > OK, the first part - no problem.  I don't seem to be able to "share" my
> > printers.  My server is running RH9.0 ans there isn't a Sharing option that
> > I can find in the setup.
>
> Oh!  Fire up the print manager (RHIcon->System Settings->Printing).
> Click on "Action" first, then click on "Sharing...".  Put a checkmark
> in "Automatically find remote shared queues" on BOTH machines, click
> "OK" and "Apply".  See if the stuff shows up then.  If not, it may be
> a difference between CUPS and LPrng (I run CUPS).

Still no printer but let's get the first part working

Thanks

Brad