Localhost

Ralph E. Kenyon, Jr. diogenes at xenodochy.org
Thu Apr 7 15:25:17 UTC 2005

On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 10:08:38 -0400, Scott Mertens <smertens at mho.com> wrote:

> How can I change my computer name from Localhost to an actual sensible
> name. I think it would have to be changed in the hosts file, but it must
> have to be changed somewhere else?
>
> [scott at localhost ~]$

I think you can't get rid of "localhost", but you can add a local name to
the /etc/hosts file

Mine has:

127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost linux.net xenodochy.org
ballroomdances.org

I know there is a "real" "www.linux.net" out there on the internet at
195.86.89.114, but if I enter "linux.net", in my browser, I get my local
pages served by tux and apache.  If I enter "www.linux.net", I get the
"real" internet version (which is down right now).

This setup allows me to see local copies of my two domains if I enter
ballroomdances.org or xenodochy.org without the "www" prefix.  If I add
the "www" prefix, then my browser will go get the copy from my hosting
site.  This arrangement is very useful for development.

As I understand it the name "localhost" is required for network
functioning.  Somebody please correct me if my understanding is wrong.

--
Ralph E. Kenyon, Jr.
http://www.xenodochy.org/ralph.html

Home pages:
http://www.xenodochy.org
http://www.ballroomdances.org
FIGHT SPAM http://www.xenodochy.org/diogenes/antispam.html
(If you are thinking about collecting my email address, read the above
page first!)
Keep our semantic environments and cyberspace clean.
Always report errors discovered while surfing the web.
My favorite saying (from general semantics):
It's not that seeing is believing, believing is seeing,
and we're much better at believing than we are at seeing.
http://www.xenodochy.org/ex/quotes/santayana.html