Card Reader

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Fri Apr 8 23:11:43 UTC 2005

Scott Mertens wrote:
> I have a new computer I installed Linux on Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES
> release 4 (Nahant), it has one of those all-in-one card readers on it. I
> have made mountpoints as root as follows for my thumb, Compact flash and
> secure digital drive.
>
> mkdir /mnt/thumb
> mkdir /mnt/cf
> mkdir /mnt/sd
>
> Now when I tried to mount the Thumb (USB) drive I got an error # mount
> /dev/sda2 /mnt/thumb
> mount: /dev/sda2 already mounted or /mnt/thumb busy.
>
> So what have I done wrong?  I'm thinking sda2 is wrong, but don't know why?
>
> df -h shows the following
>
> [root at localhost mnt]# df -h
> /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00
>                      183G  2.9G  171G   2% /
> /dev/sda1              99M   19M   76M  20% /boot
> none                  247M     0  247M   0% /dev/shm
> [root at localhost mnt]#

First off, keep in mind that RHEL4 will automount the device for you if
it can.  However, things such as FLASH devices and such will be
automounted under the "/media" directory tree.  Try plugging in your
device, then do a "mount" command to see if the device automounted.

If it didn't automount and you have to mount it manually, SCSI devices
are numbered as follows:

	/dev/sdXP

where "X" represents the SCSI _device_, and will be the letter a, b, c,
d, e, f, etc., depending on when the device was detected during the
SCSI scan at boot time.  The "P" represents the _partition_ number on
that device.  So "/dev/sda1" is the first partition on the first SCSI
device, "/dev/sdb4" is the fourth partition on the second SCSI device
and so on.

Since you already show /dev/sda1 as your boot device, we can assume that
/dev/sda is a SCSI drive and therefore CAN'T be the FLASH device.  As a
result, the thumb drive will have to be /dev/sdb or /dev/sdc, depending
on how many SCSI devices you have.

Try plugging in the thumb drive.  If you only have one SCSI drive, then
then "fdisk -l /dev/sdb" ("fdisk -l /dev/sdc" if you have two SCSI
drives) and see if a partition table is displayed and if it looks like
your thumb drive.  Once you find it, "mount /dev/scXP /mnt/thumb" (with
"X" replaced by the drive letter and "P" by the partition from the
fdisk command).  You should be good to go.
-           Denial.  It ain't just a river in Egypt anymore!         -