Sound Card

mylar micros50 at computer.net
Tue Apr 12 05:42:33 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-04-11 at 19:52, Scott Mertens wrote:
> Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES release 4 (Nahant)
> After  an install I am finding the sound card does not seem to work
> properly and I am not sure where to start troubleshooting the problem as
> i am too new to Linux.
>
> I have run {System Settings} {Sound card detection} from Gnome and it
> reports "No sound card detected"
>
> This is a new Gateway computer P4. So any help in troubleshooting is
> greatly appriciated

Do you know what type of sound card is installed in the system ?? Try
visiting "www.alsa-project.org" and see if your sound-card is listed
there. If it is you may need to download the latest set of drivers for
that sound card. Once downloaded you may need to compile them to be
installed as modules or compile them directly into the kernel. The
former method is probably easier. While you're at it you might as well
download compile and install the most recent alsa-libs and utils (which
provided alsaconf, alsamixer asnd other useful utilities. Also, when you
compile your drivers you need to specify which modules (for your
soundcard) you want built. This is usually done specifying the
"with-cards=xxx" (where xxx = driver name) during configuration.
Complete instructions are at alsa-project.org and further questions can
be directed to this list.

mylar