Sound card

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Tue Apr 12 16:25:23 UTC 2005

On Apr 12, 2005 8:06 AM, Scott Mertens <smertens at mho.com> wrote:

> >1) What kernel are you running? 2.6 kernels have alsa built inside them.
> (Generally)
>
> >2) Is any part of Alsa loaded?  lsmod | grep snd
>
> >[root at RHServer01 ~]# lsmod |grep snd
> [root at RHServer01 ~]#
>
> >ls /proc/asound
> root at RHServer01 ~]# ls /proc/asound
> ls: /proc/asound: No such file or directory
> cat /proc/asound/version
>
> >3) What results do you see if you try yum search alsa-tools
> [root at RHServer01 ~]# yum search alsa-tools
> -bash: yum: command not found
>

> >4) What is in your modprobe.conf file?   cat /etc/modprobe.conf
> [root at RHServer01 ~]# cat /proc/modprobe.conf
> cat: /proc/modprobe.conf: No such file or directory
>
> Can I keep going?

Scott,
   I guess not! All I can say is that when this machine was set up it
was apparently loaded with very little. Maybe it's reasonable that
since it's a server it doesn't have sound, but it seem unlikely that
it shouldn't even have yum.

   Very strange.

   The only thing I can think of is that possibly this is caused by
how you become root. Are you logged in as a user and then doing an su
to root? If so, how are you doing it?

su

or

su -

The former doesn't pick up root's path and therefore wouldn't find
things like yum. If you're doing the latter and getting these problems
then you're going to need someone who knows about configuring your
distro vs. someone like me who works with sound.

- Mark