multiple linux

jludwig wralphie at comcast.net
Tue Apr 12 21:13:39 UTC 2005

On Tuesday 12 April 2005 09:18 am, Chris Hewitt wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-04-12 at 11:31, tariq samsudeen wrote:
> > hi all,
> > is it possible to hv a multiple copy of redhat linux on the same
> > machine.......i installed 2 copies of linux, but my grub loader config
> > is pointing only to the latest installation.....pliz help
> > thanks & regards,
> > tariq
>
> Yes, I do this a lot. From your running (latest) installation, mount the
> disc partition that is /boot in the original installation. Copy the
> /boot/grub/grub.conf (when mounted it will be just
> <mountpoint/grub/grub.conf) entry from the original and paste it into
> the /boot/grub/grub.conf as a second entry to the latest installation.
>
> If the two installations are the same version of linux then the entries
> will be the same except for the disc partitions that they point to.
>
> HTH
> Chris

I second this, I fact you can run just about as many distros as you want and
even cross some directories (S.A. your home directory).

 I used to run a second FD2 in case I messed the main installation while
playing with setups (This allowed me to boot the second installation and fix
the first.).
--
John H Ludwig