Mirror Mirror

Harold Hallikainen harold at hallikainen.com
Thu Apr 14 22:39:14 UTC 2005

Because of all the things that CAN go wrong besides drives, I'm leaning
towards just having a spare machine running. Every night all changed data
(I'm thinking var and home, but what else) would be copied over to the
backup machine. Should ANYTHING in the main machine die, I change a couple
things in the router and the backup machine is online. I like the
once-a-day copy instead of the continuous copy of RAID in that if
something goes wrong, with RAID, we get nice copies of bad data. I've got
hardware RAID on a Windoze machine here and it's corrupted all the RAID
drives pretty often!

On Norton Ghost, it WILL make a copy of a drive, including linux file
systems. I've found, though, that the drive you're copying to really needs
to be very close (exactly the same?) as the original drive or it just
won't boot. I have a copy of Norton Ghost on floppy and just boot the
machine with that to make a Ghost backup. It's actually running PC-DOS.

Harold

--
FCC Rules Updated Daily at http://www.hallikainen.com