New drive

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 17:08:14 UTC 2005

On 4/15/05, Scott Mertens <smertens at mho.com> wrote:
> I have just bought a new SATA HD and installed with the DOS software
> included with it.  It was formatted as FAT32, I think I will use as a
> backup for this linux box.  My intention is to boot into a Ghost CD and
> image drive to new Drive.
>
> So question is is it OK to be formatted to FAT32 to copy an ex3 image
> file to it.  Or should I mount it in Linux, format it as a ext3 and then
> boot to Ghost and copy the image file to it?

Actually it's pretty bad to be formatted FAT32 in this application. If
you copy Linux files per se to the drive then since FAT32 doesn't
support owner:group:world permissions and you'll lose that info and
have a terrible time doing a restore.

Much better to format it ext3 and take advantage of the journaling for
extra safety.

My 2 cents,
Mark