New drive

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Fri Apr 15 18:02:08 UTC 2005

Scott Mertens wrote:
> I have just bought a new SATA HD and installed with the DOS software
> included with it.  It was formatted as FAT32, I think I will use as a
> backup for this linux box.  My intention is to boot into a Ghost CD and
> image drive to new Drive.
>
> So question is is it OK to be formatted to FAT32 to copy an ex3 image
> file to it.  Or should I mount it in Linux, format it as a ext3 and then
> boot to Ghost and copy the image file to it?

Well, if you're actually using Ghost (Norton Ghost), it's irrelevant
what the target drive is formatted as, since Ghost will overwrite it
Ghost does a block-for-block copy, roughly equivalent to a Linux
"dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb bs=512"
-     There are only 10 kinds of people in the world -- those who    -
-                 understand binary and those who don't              -