grub.comf

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Wed Apr 20 17:10:51 UTC 2005

Scott Mertens wrote:
> I have edited my grub.conf file and changes the default=0 to get my
> system to boot to a new kernel in beta I downloaded.
>
> Can Linux to present me with a choice of kernels to start when the
> system boots so I don't have to edit grub.conf each time?
>
> Linux version 2.6.9-6.37.EL (bhcompile at decompose.build.redhat.com) (gcc
> version 3.4.3 20050227 (Red Hat 3.4.3-22)) #1 Tue Mar 29 15:34:14 EST
> 2005
> [root at RHServer01 ~]#

Grub should display all of the kernels in the /boot/grub/grub.conf
file at boot time.  Use the up/down arrows to select the kernel you
want, then press "ENTER".

If that menu isn't displayed, check the "timeout=" line in grub.conf
(should be right after the "default=" line).  That sets the number of
seconds the menu is displayed.  If no keys are hit before that expires,
the default kernel is booted.  If it's set to 0:

	timeout=0

then the menu is never displayed and the default kernel is booted
immediately.
- Life:  That which happens while you search for the remote control. -