tmp folder

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Thu Apr 21 16:24:48 UTC 2005

Scott Mertens wrote:
> Is the /tmp folder similar to one in Windoz? It should be emptied on
> reboot, or exit.  Mine seems to have a lot in it, not sure if it is
> necessary or not?

It's similar.  The GUI writes a lot of session info in there, as well
as it being used for named pipes (FIFOs) for certain programs, keys and
session info for ssh connections and what not.  Also, your mail client
will often put attachments there if you, say, open an attached
spreadsheet.
-  Silence!  Or I shall replace you with a very small shell script!  -
-                                                - The Wizard of OS  -