can't change ownership on files

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Mon Apr 25 16:54:27 UTC 2005

Waldher, Travis R wrote:

> [...]

That doesn't make it right and it's dangerous to boot.  "that's the way
we've always done it" is a totally invalid argument when it comes to
security.

> But one example where at least some people need this.  Is version
> control  When a piece of software is "locked" down, they change the user
> and group from whomever was working it, to a control user and group name
> consisting of the Configuration Management person.

That is what CVS, bitkeeper, SourceSafe (windows) and several other
version control systems are designed to do, Travis.  You know, "check
in", "check out", etc. Works flawlessly, tracks changes permitting
regression, controlled releases, the works.  There is no need to change
ownership of files or anything of the nature.  In fact, I prefer using
a remote CVS machine (you know, a "cvs :pserver:") to archive the code.

> I as an admin do not care to get in the middle of that process, or grant
> them the ability to change ownership of files at a root leval through
> sudo.

Then they're stuck.  You, as the admin, are ultimately responsible for
the security and management of the system and the users' files.  As
such, YOU set the rules.  chowning files is NOT a solution.  You must
enforce the use of a true versioning system.  I mean, geeze.  RCS
(revision control system--the predecessor to CVS) was written in the
1970s, for gawd's sake.
-        God is real...........unless declared integer or long       -