rsync

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Tue Apr 26 16:29:56 UTC 2005

ajay wrote:
> can i sync my ftp server to my local folder?
> i am using this command for this but not working
> rsync -avz macmillan-tivimtech at tivimtech.com:21
> <mailto:macmillan-tivimtech at tivimtech.com:21> /home/ajay/tivim/
>
> tell me correct syntax

rsync and ftp are totally different protocols and do not speak the same
language.  You must run rsyncd on the server and then the syntax is
something like one of the following (all will work):

	rsync -avz user at hostname:publishingpoint /home/ajay/tivim
	rsync -avz user at hostname::publishingpoint /home/ajay/tivim
	rsync -avz rsync://user@hostname/publishingpoint \
				/home/ajay/tivim

rsync runs on TCP port 873.  Look at the man page for rsync.
-      To err is human, to forgive, beyond the scope of the OS       -