Help with login problem!

Alexey Fadyushin fab at s-tunnel.com
Fri Apr 29 12:07:32 UTC 2005

FS wrote:

>On 4/28/05, Rick Stevens <rstevens at vitalstream.com> wrote:
>

>>FS wrote:
>>

>>>Hello all,
>>>
>>>I set up a new FC1 machine yesterday and created a user "newuser"
>>>using "adduser newuser" and changed its password.
>>>
>>>When I try to ssh to the said account, it doesn't work. The connection
>>>opens, accepts my password and then closes instantly. Trying to "su -
>>>newuser" or "su newuser" result in a "could not open session"
>>>Interestingly enough, FTP does work!
>>>

>>Uh, yeah.  Tell me, did you use the "-m" option to adduser?  If not,
>>then the new user doesn't have a home directory unless you created one
>>for him separately and used the "-d" option to adduser to specify what
>>it was.  And if you did that, don't forget you must change the ownership
>>and group for the user's home directory to the new user's UID and GID or
>>it won't work properly.
>>
>>If you did it properly:
>>
>>       # adduser -m newuser
>>
>>If you have to do it separately:
>>
>>       # adduser newuser
>>       # cat /etc/passwd | grep newuser
>>       # mkdir /home/newuser
>>       # chown newuser:newusergroup /home/newuser
>>
>>The "cat" command dumps the /etc/passwd entry for the new user so you
>>can get the user's home directory and group.  You use that data in the
>>last two commands.
>>

>>>Googling seems to point to permissions problem but I can't figure out
>>>where or what. The /etc/passwd is 644, /etc/group is 644 and
>>>/etc/shadow is 600
>>>

>>It's referring to the user's home directory, not the permissions on
>>passwd or group.
>>
>>Remember, FTP doesn't have an issue if the user's home directory doesn't
>>exist because there's no shell involved with FTP.  ssh IS a shell and
>>as such, REQUIRES a home directory with valid permissions.
>>- Rick Stevens, Senior Systems Engineer     rstevens at vitalstream.com -
>>- VitalStream, Inc.                       http://www.vitalstream.com -
>>-                                                                    -
>>-  Animal testing is futile.  They always get nervous and give the   -
>>-                             wrong answers                          -
>>

>Rick -- Thanks for responding.
>
>You're right. I did not use the -m option, but when I checked, the
>adduser process had somehow created the home directory automatically
>and gave it proper permissions.
>
>Please take a look below. Should these be something else?
>
>root at c7504s98 /home$ ls -al
>total 16
>drwxr-xr-x    4 root     root         4096 Apr 28 12:44 .
>drwxr-xr-x   19 root     root         4096 Apr 27 15:29 ..
>drwx------    2 newuser newuser  4096 Apr 28 13:20 newuser
>root at c7504s98 /home$ ls -al newuser
>total 28
>drwx------    2 newuser newuser     4096 Apr 28 13:20 .
>drwxr-xr-x    4 root     root         4096 Apr 28 12:44 ..
> [...]
It seems that permissions are OK. Howevwr there may be problem with a
user shell - ssh and su do need working user shell (FTP does not). What
is the shell for that user as shown in /etc/passwd? That value should
point to a shell program (such as bash or sh) accessible and executable
by that user. It is also possible that you have a problem with PAM
configuration for su and ssh.

Alexey Fadyushin
Brainbench MVP for Linux.
http://www.brainbench.com