R: I need Help RedHat-Windows XP

Stuart Sears stuart at sjsears.com
Sat Apr 30 10:56:13 UTC 2005

On Saturday 30 April 2005 03:39, Roberto wrote:
> Thank you very much for your reply.
> I've just tried the  commands you told me to use in the last part of you
> reply, but nothing seems to be changed.
> In fact windows xp crashes with a blue screen that say that Session Manager
> Initialization has stopped in un unattended way, and so the system has been
> closed.
> In these conditions I really can do nothing, I am not able to reinstall
> windows without erasing its partition and with that all my important data.
> It's for this reason I asked you for a way to recover and save my Windows
> files from Linux, that is now the only os I can start.
> Thank you again
Morning ,Roberto.
firstly, please bottom-post to this mailing-list (by all means ask if you're
not sure what this means).
Secondly...
Assuming your data on Windows is on an NTFS filesystem, then recovering it
form your RHEL4 installation is going to be a challenge. RHEL does not have
support for NTFS filesystems.
if it isn't (ie it is using FAT) then you can access the data and back it up
from within RHEL. This we can help you with.
to find this out, look at the output of the command
fdisk -l
when typed into a console as root.
a line similar to this:
/dev/hda2   *          26        2636    20972857+   7  HPFS/NTFS
means that you are using NTFS. (your windows line will probably start
with /dev/hda1)

In this case one of the only ways I can think of for accessing your data is to
use a custom boot cd, like systemrescuecd - you'll find this at
http://www.sysresccd.org
which supports NTFS and allows you to read your data.

Does anybody have any better ideas for this?

do you have any kind of network access for backing up your data?
if not, you could use tools in RHEL to create a new partition on your disk to
copy your data, and then burn it to CD or similar within the RHEL
environment.

HTH

Stuart
--