Oracle 9i on Linux Enterprise WS 3

Michael Velez mikev777 at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 2 08:36:54 UTC 2005

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: SoftNet Technologies
  To: redhat-install-list at redhat.com
  Sent: Tuesday, August 02, 2005 12:32 AM
  Subject: Oracle 9i on Linux Enterprise WS 3

  Hi All,

  I am facing some problems while trying to install oracle 9i on linux enterprise WS 3. I need your kind cooperation for it. Please send me the list of Pre-installation requirments and patches required before starting installation and from where these packages can be downloaded. I will be very thankful to you.

  One more thing I want to know that can I install Oracle 11i on Linux Enterprise AS 4.
  Thanks

  SoftNet.

What you need is the Quick Installation Guide.  It has all that information.  You can find it on the Oracle site and can download it for free.

I installed Oracle 10g on WS3 (and then WS 4) without a problem.  Is there a reason you want to install 9i as opposed to 10g?

Here is their link to the documentation: http://www.oracle.com/technology/documentation/database10g.html

On that page, they do have links to Oracle Release 9i Release 9.0.1 documentation and Oracle 9i Release 2 (9.2) documentation.  The Quick Installation Guide for 10G actually has a list of each rpm package (with version number) which is required for the Oracle installation. I don't think the 9i documentation is set up that way but it does have software required and pre-installation steps.  All patches for WS3 should be found on RedHat network.  Actually, since Oracle 10g is supported for Redhat AS3, I didn't have any problems whatsoever installing it on WS3 and did not have to add any rpm packages (they were all there).

Good luck,
Michael