Red Hat AS 4 questions

Allen, Jack Jack.Allen at McKesson.com
Wed Aug 10 21:27:25 UTC 2005

        I just loaded Red Hat AS 4 on and IBM xServer 366. Everything
when fine. I have 2 disk in Raid 1, that everything was loaded on and
appear as /dev/sdg1 - /dev/sdg9. Then there are 12 other disk, that are
in Raid 1, so the OS sees 6 disk. These 6 disk were all setup with one
partition and appear as /dev/sda1 through /dev/sdf1. I ran pvcreate
/dev/sda1, pvcreate /dev/sdb1 ... Then I ran vgcreate vg01 /dev/sda1
/dev/sdb1. The vgdisplay command shows the correct information, no
problem. Then I ran

lvcreate -L 2G -n h0000n0.v00a vg01. This is for and application to
directly access, so I needed to change the owner, group and mode. So I
went to /dev/vg01 and did "ls -l" to see what it currently was. This is
when I found out the name h0000n0.v00a was a symbolic link to
/dev/mapper/vg01-h0000n0.v00a. So my first question is: does this mean I
am running the dev file system or something by default? Or is this the
way that lvm2 works now?

        Now to my second problem. When I loaded Red Hat AS 3, I don't
remember doing anything special to create the /dev/st* and /dev/nst*
nodes. It seems there was something like 7 of each. Well on the this
system there are none. The man page for st gives an example of "mknod -m
0666 /dev/st0 c 9 0", which I did. No errors. But if I do "mt -f
/dev/st0 status" the error indicates no such device or address. I would
assume this is because the major device number may not be correct. So my
question is: what should it be? Or is it related to the /dev/mapper
question above? As far as the tape drive really being connected to the
system, it shows up during boot when the controller is identified. This
is before Linux boots. I don't remember if it showed up during the Linux
boot. I will have to reboot again to see. I guess another question would
be is all the boot messages from the kernel logged somewhere? I thought
it was, but don't remember where.

Jack Allen