volume label and fstab/mtab

Bob Kinney bc98kinney at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 20 23:36:06 UTC 2005

Hello--

I'm trying to figure out (or remember) how this happened:

I created a partition out of empty space to house the /home
tree long after I installed this system originally (RH 9),
when I realized I needed more room.

fstab refers to the new partition by its label, instead of
device notation.  I understand why this works, but I cannot
remember how it got in there.  Is there a configuration
program that does that?  I might have followed some great
detailed instructions from this list, but I cannot
remember ever creating a label for the partition.

fstab:
LABEL=/                 /                       ext3    defaults        1 1
LABEL=/boot             /boot                   ext3    defaults        1 2
none                    /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
LABEL=/home             /home                   ext3    defaults        1 2
none                    /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0
none                    /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults        0 0
/dev/hda1               /dos                    vfat    defaults,umask=000
0 0
/dev/hdb5               /dos/ddrive             vfat    defaults,umask=000
0 0
/dev/hda5               swap                    swap    defaults        0 0
/dev/cdrom              /mnt/cdrom              udf,iso9660
noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0
/dev/fd0                /mnt/floppy             auto    noauto,owner,kudzu 0 0
/dev/cdrom1             /mnt/cdrom1             udf,iso9660
noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0

mtab:
/dev/hda3 / ext3 rw 0 0
none /proc proc rw 0 0
usbdevfs /proc/bus/usb usbdevfs rw 0 0
/dev/hda2 /boot ext3 rw 0 0
none /dev/pts devpts rw,gid=5,mode=620 0 0
/dev/hda6 /home ext3 rw 0 0
none /dev/shm tmpfs rw 0 0
/dev/hda1 /dos vfat rw,umask=000 0 0
/dev/hdb5 /dos/ddrive vfat rw,umask=000 0 0

--BobCat