IMAP Performance (again)

Mike McMullen mlm at loanprocessing.net
Wed Aug 24 18:37:55 UTC 2005

>>> I'm curious which IMAP server you are using.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>

>> The default that comes with RH8.0... I've not installed anything other
>> than default stuff, kind of... That's my general philosophy. It makes
>> recovery easier for me.
>
> RH8.0 came with UWimap (Crispin's version), and it has issues with large
> mailboxes and folders.  imap-2002e handles it much better (that's what I
> use with over 9,000 domains and 50,000 users), and dovecot (the standard
> with Fedora) would probably work as well...but you have to migrate the
> mailboxes to mh format from standard mailbox format.  Not difficult and
> they do provide a tool to do that.

My Dovecot in FC3+4 uses mbox format out of the box. When I migrated to
Dovecot from UWimap, it was trivial. Frankly, one of the easiest transitions
I ever had. The Dovecot configuration file has many different options to tweak
if you want.

Also Dovecot handles large mail folders very well. We commonly have folders
in the 400MB-1.5GB range and I'm damn impressed by the performance of
the server with Outlook Express.

Hope this helps,

Mike