IMAP Performance (again)

karlp at ourldsfamily.com karlp at ourldsfamily.com
Wed Aug 24 20:37:07 UTC 2005

< stuff deleted >

>> Wow, Great information! I guess the learning curve starts now. With 2
>> mail
>> servers, this will help more than one community of users.
>>
>> When I decided to install mplayer several years ago, I got a working
>> copy
>> going, including codecs, etc. and put the whole kit and kaboodle on a
>> single CD. Doing that made my life easier as I moved up the upgrade
>> path.
>> . . I guess doing the same with Cyrus might be a good idea so disaster
>> recovery can be done much easier.
>>
>> Again, thanks.
>>
>> Karl
>
> Well, before you jump too quickly, you might check out dovecot.  It is
> the default IMAP (and POP3) server in the Fedora Core set, replacing
> the UW package.  I have no information on its technical virtures over
> UW, if any, but it configures more simply than Cyrus.  I'm using it on
> our local ISP's mail server which has over 1100 customers and is
> _very_ busy.

Thanks Bob. I've already installed and configured dovecot and it's very
fast. Great improvement over WUIMAP. Configuration was annoying, but not
that hard. Just a matter of reading the configuration file's comments and
trying different things out. I can't get POP to work, but ipop3d isn't a
problem so I just enabled imap.

Thanks loads.

karl