Strange Modem

brad.mugleston at comcast.net brad.mugleston at comcast.net
Fri Aug 26 03:54:22 UTC 2005

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005, Rick Stevens wrote:

> brad.mugleston at comcast.net wrote:

> > > Uh, serial modem or PCI-based?  If it's PCI, have you looked at the IRQ
> > > assignments between the modem and the NICs?  (lspci -v)
> > >

> > Sorry - it's a Cable Modem - RCA - goes to my Motorola WR850G
> > Router.  I'll have to check the dmesg and interrupts - get back
> > ot you later on the rest of it.
>
> Oh.  Hmmmm.  So, I take it that your layout is something like:
>
>            -------------      ------------------
> --cable-->| cable modem |--->|WAN router/switch |
>            -------------        port 1   port 2
>                               ------------------
>                                  ^         ^
>                                  |         +--System 2
>                                  +---System 1
>
> If so, then SOMEONE on your network is probably asking the modem to
> fetch a new DHCP connection from your ISP.  You'd need to watch the
> TCP traffic to know for sure.  You could use something like:
>
>     tcpdump dest host local-ip-address-of-cable-modem
>
> and that ONLY if you can get the monitoring machine and the cable modem
> on the same cable segment (insert a hub--NOT a switch--into the WAN
> connection between your router and modem and plug your machine into
> that hub as well).
>
> If that's the case, you can fix that by setting the cable modem's WAN
> port to a different subnet.  E.g. my cable modem is 192.168.100.1/16,
> while my switch uses 192.168.0.1/24 on all ports EXCEPT the WAN port.
> The DHCP server on my switch also uses 192.168.0.0/24 in its pool.

Thanks for the help Rick - haven't been able to check things out
and it started working again.  Got online and checked out the
comcast web site.  Checked into their forum section and it wasn't
just my problem but a problem all across the US+.  Talking to
comcast they said it was my problem but they set out a fix and it
went away.  Theory is they did a software update on everyones
modems and it didn't work.....

It would sure make things eaiser if they weren't lying to all
their users all the time.