Dovecot IMAP Update

karlp at ourldsfamily.com karlp at ourldsfamily.com
Fri Aug 26 04:33:58 UTC 2005

I installed Dovecot on both email servers I administer. The Outlook users
who have IMAP accounts have noticed a significant improvement. One user,
with over 300 folders, some which have 4 - 5 thousand emails each (don't
ask; I don't want to know) told me that the difference in checking email
(Outlook checks every folder for new mail) is awesome. I asked how much
faster and was told "Well before I could get up and walk around while it
checked email, so I never knew how long it really took. Now it happens as
fast as it did when I first started doing email and only had a few
folders."

Cool and easy this was.

In Squirrelmail, I had to remove the root folder entry. Dovecot sends
mail/ automagically for me. That's made setting up new accounts very easy.
But, it took a bit to figure it out first.

Pine also continues to work flawlessly for those users.

Overall, Dovecot has been a very nice find for me.

Thanks to all for making that recommendation. With servers of the size I
manage, I doubt I'll ever need Cyrus, but thanks for letting me know about
that one, too.

Karl