NFS help

brad.mugleston at comcast.net brad.mugleston at comcast.net
Fri Aug 26 22:30:01 UTC 2005

On Fri, 26 Aug 2005, Mark Knecht wrote:

> On 8/26/05, brad.mugleston at comcast.net <brad.mugleston at comcast.net> wrote:
>

> > OK, I understand that - but I've only done /etc/hosts with fixed
> > IP's.  How does that work with DHCP assigned IP's?
> >
> What's wrong with using fixed IPs? If you have only 5-10 devices then
> why not just have them be fixed and be done with it?
>
> I see no value to the complexity of DHCP in this case.
>
> Just my 2 cents,
> Mark

Mark,

Your 2 cents are worth more than that and if I was doing this for
anything important I probably would give it a fixed IP.  BUT I'm
trying to figure this stuff out (like my kids say) "JUST CAUSE".

If in the real world people do this with fixed IP's then I'll do
that (the machine I'm on has a fixed IP for other such reasons).
BUT for learning I thought I'd try it with DHCP.

Thanks,

Brad