NFS help

Otto Haliburton ottohaliburton at comcast.net
Fri Aug 26 22:57:47 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-08-26 at 15:34 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
> On 8/26/05, brad.mugleston at comcast.net <brad.mugleston at comcast.net> wrote:

> > > What's wrong with using fixed IPs? If you have only 5-10 devices then
> > > why not just have them be fixed and be done with it?
> > >
> > > I see no value to the complexity of DHCP in this case.
> > >
> > > Just my 2 cents,
> > > Mark
> > >
> > Mark,
> >
> > Your 2 cents are worth more than that and if I was doing this for
> > anything important I probably would give it a fixed IP.  BUT I'm
> > trying to figure this stuff out (like my kids say) "JUST CAUSE".
>
> That's a completely fine reason.
>
> I do not know the answer to your question in terms of really running a
> network and having my laptop find my wife's machine called dragonfly
> when dragonfly is given an address using DHCP.
>
> In the end, and yes I was intersted in this same subject once, I
> decided logically that when the network wasn't working for some reason
> I didn't want to determine if it was a machine problem or a DHCP
> server problem or something else so I've always stuck to fixed IP
> address. The bedroom is .30, my son's room is .40 the living room is
> .50, etc. It's simple an has rarely failed me.
>

> > If in the real world people do this with fixed IP's then I'll do
> > that (the machine I'm on has a fixed IP for other such reasons).
> > BUT for learning I thought I'd try it with DHCP.
> >
> Sure. Learning is good!
>
> Cheers,
> Mark

Well it is magic, hahaha.  Simply what resources that are available is
not a function of the ip addresses, when a node reports to a dns it
reports the resources available for sharing and it is this where all
nodes are resolved and the resources they have for sharing.  At least if
I am wrong only barely!!!