X problem(may be)

Tapas Ranjan sarangi at bpost.kek.jp
Sat Aug 27 11:28:29 UTC 2005

Hi :
   I installed FC3 on a desktop, which has a bit old
CPU confugurations and when I open a terminal,
it acts so slow that only you can see the border of the terminal and the
username, but can't see any cursor. I can't see what I type, just the
wallpaper. It's very very very slow, I can't move anything and many times
it just freezes and can't even logout. If I switch to single user mode
without "X" then everything works fine and fast enough.
	First I thought it might be a memory problem, since I
had 128 MB RAM, then I added another 512 MB, but no change. Second
I thought it might be a disk problem, since I had only 4GB for the
linux partition, where as another 30GB for windows (which works fine),
and then I added complete new hard-disk of 80GB and installed
the linux again, but still no change. Now I am clueless, what should
I do ? Since I spent quite a few on this, I want help of you guys
to guide if I can solve this problem.

Here is the output of "/proc/cpuinfo" and "/proc/meminfo"

`cat /proc/cpuinfo`
--------------------
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
cpu family      : 6
model           : 4
model name      : AMD Athlon(tm) Processor
stepping        : 2
cpu MHz         : 1000.574
cache size      : 256 KB
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 1
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 mtrr pge mca cmov pat
mmx fxsr syscall mmxext 3dnowext 3dnow
bogomips        : 1957.88

`cat /proc/meminfo`
--------------------