NFS help (.. is definitely needed)

Greg Julius fromRHIL at outtacyte.com
Sun Aug 28 22:21:52 UTC 2005

>There is, apparently, a great deal of confusion about the relationship
>between the dynamic host control protocol, "DHCP" and the domain name
>service, "DNS".
>
>The relationship between these two is very simple and can be summed up
>in as follows:
>
>"They have no relationship. DNS and DHCP have no intersecting messages.
>They never communicate with each other."

One might say the same between Windows and Samba.
But the fact of the matter is that they can and do communicate with each
other.

DHCP can and does update my DNS.  The fact that it does it only within the
confines of my internal network is a crucial distinction, but my DNS is
updated for sure.  All I have to do is dump my A records to see that,
sho'nuff, the computer's name matches the assigned IP.

However, it is not the machines on my network doing the update (contra
Otto), it is DHCP doing the updates.  Furthermore, in the configuration,
DHCP and DNS share an encryption key so that the updates can only be made by
one to the other and none other.  Also, in my setup, only the 127.0.0.1 IP
(localhost loopback) is allowed to do the update - no other machine in the
network can do the updates.  Of course using the loopback IP means that my
DNS and DHCP services must run on the same machine.

>On Sun, Aug 28, 2005 at 08:32:22AM -0500, Otto Haliburton wrote:
>
>> If your server has a static address it is reporting that to the DNS and
that
>> address will be reported.  The DNS only reports what is reported to it as
>> the address.  The assignment of dynamic addresses is done by the DHCP and
>> that is the relationship.  So what you are saying is confused and frankly
>> out of sorts.  That is why I don't understand what you are saying.  There
is
>> a relationship between all elements of the network, but the main element
is
>> to resolve addresses so that you can send messages where ever you have
>> access freely so
>

>> if your server changes it IP address it will get reported
>> with the new address and the DNS is not broken your server is broken.
The
> [...]
>dynamically connecting and disconnecting from their various ISP's
>networks.  In other words, every desktop and laptop accessing
>the Internet through a dial-up, cable, DSL, or even satellite, and even
>on an internal corporate LAN, usually has a dynamically assigned IP
>address and does not have a domain name so there would simply be no
>point in communicating its "new" IP address to the domain name system.
>
>Consider the large number of possible IP addresses available with just
>IP4 (four octets): if any significant fraction of these addresses were
>to begin to change dynamically it could quite literally overwhelm the
>DNS system.  By far, the vast majority of addresses which are registered
>in the DNS system are almost completely static.  And the many site
>administrators struggle mightily to keep them that way.
>
>One of the security issues, discussed in small dark backroom's, by
>nervous large site administrators, security personnel for large
>financial organizations as well as government officials associated with
>keeping the banking and economic infrastructure functioning smoothly is
>the notion of a failure of the DNS system caused by an attack on the DNS
>system using the application of large numbers of address assignment
>changes as a "denial of service" style of attack.
>
>Today there are tools, mostly small scripts, which can be run on servers
>that will automatically send IP address up-to-date information to the
>domain name registrar of that server. Dyndns.org provides such tools.
>
>However, these tools are specifically built to access a custom interface
>which exists only at Dyndns.org and you can't depend on these tools to
>work with any other registrar. Furthermore these tools are only useful
>on the few domains which are being operated on systems which have
>dynamically assigned IP addresses.  Because of the way information is
>propagated, (slowly), through the DNS system, this only works at all
>because relatively few domains have dynamically assigned IP addresses.
>
>one last note, at large Web hosting companies which are also domain name
>registrars for their customers, custom-built tools exist to manage
>updating IP address assignment to the DNS system for their customer's
>domains.  When using virtual hosting, on a large number of machines it
>is quite easy to understand that one machine may host a few hundred
>valid domain names, and therefore all of those domains will have the
>same IP address. Imagine what happens when that machine fails.  Those
>hundreds of domains must be redistributed to the other virtual servers
>owned by that Web hosting company and the IP address for each of those
>domains must be updated.  This is an absolute pain in the neck to do by
>hand.  Naturally the first thing a lazy administrator does is to read
>the script or some other tool which automates or eases that workload.
>
>(Being lazy is a virtue in a programmer :-))

All of Jeff's points are well stated.  I think the difference is between the
DNS as a generic internet-wide function and DNS as a particular
implementation in an internal network.

-g