hostname

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Tue Aug 30 17:38:58 UTC 2005

brad.mugleston at comcast.net wrote:
> how does one permenately change a hostname?  typing "hostname
> new.name" doesn't do it permenately and I can't find which file
> to change.

The hostname is set during boot by the contents of the "HOSTNAME"
variable in /etc/sysconfig/network.  Change that and it'll stick.

Note that the hostname you put in there must be resolvable to your
IP address--either via your /etc/hosts file or DNS.  If it's not, a lot
of things won't work (X, for instance).
-     Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.      -