Red Hat Enterprise 4 and (incorrect?) swap size

Bob McClure Jr robertmcclure at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 2 17:28:01 UTC 2005

On Fri, Dec 02, 2005 at 07:22:07PM +0200, Mark Ryden wrote:
> Hello,
>   I am trying to install Red Hat Enterprise 4 on a machine with 64 bit
> processor (Dual Xeon).
>
> My machine has 2 GB of RAM; at boot, I see on the screen that the
> PC says it has 2GB of RAM (and a look at BIOS validates it).
>
> I choose "automatic partition".
>
> There , it says 2GB for swap partition.
> Why is it so? Shouldn't it be, by default,4GB ? (twice the size of RAM)?
>
> should I leave it so or change ot to 4GB?
>
> Regards,
> MR

I think the max size for a swap partition is 2GB, so what you should
have is two swap partitions.  It will use as many swap partitions as
you have.  It's not limited to one.

If it's to late to re-partition, you can make a swap file and it will
use that and the swap partition.  "man mkswap" and "man swapon" for
more information.

Cheers,
robertmcclure at earthlink.net  http://www.bobcatos.com
Peace at any price is inflationary.