Oops! Messed up PCI!

Harold Hallikainen harold at hallikainen.com
Mon Dec 5 01:11:25 UTC 2005

> Greetings Bob ,
>
> Bob McClure Jr wrote:
>> On Sat, Dec 03, 2005 at 03:12:09PM -0800, Harold Hallikainen wrote:
>>

> < snip >
>

>> growisofs may well do what you want.  It's what I use for backups, but
>> I'm backing up bzip2-ed cpio gaggles.  Dunno how to do an image.
>
> An iso image you mean ?
> mkisofs does that for you . But i don't know what you need the iso image
> for ?
> Assuming i want to burn on a dvd a directory called /home/root/sources
> then
>
> growisofs -R -J -Z /dev/scd0 /home/root/sources
>
> will do the work
>
> where
>        -R mean the Rockridge extensions
>        -J  the Joliet extensions , Windows love these
>       -Z  specifies the device
>

> Well some can note here that -J ( the Joliet extensions ) are there
> usually for a DVD that needs to be read under Microsoft Windows ,
> in which case the -R is also specified  ( not that they are actually
> needed ) in order to avoid a warning from mkisofs that the non
> standard Joliet extensions have been specified whereas the Rockridge
> extensions haven't .
> I don't know which is the standard and which it isn't standard
> all i know though is that burning a DVD/ CD with only
> the -J option specified doesn't break anything
>

> But remember this will burn a DVD with some stable files , some *.tar.gz
> files not /var/log/messages a file that changes constantly .
> The OP can take a snapshot of his system but am uncertain where that can
> really help him recover from a system messed up by yum/update should the
> link goes down in the middle of the final proccess ( The phase that it
> actually
> makes the updates , after downloading has finished .
>

> Kind Regards,
>     Kostas

Is there some equivalent of Norton Ghost that does an "offline" backup of
the drive image, including files that may be changing when the machine is
"online"? I'd like to now and then just make a DVD of the system state. I
could then boot off that DVD and return the system to that known state
(even after replacing the drive).

Harold

--
FCC Rules Updated Daily at http://www.hallikainen.com