no linux after reboot

Bob McClure Jr robertmcclure at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 8 23:11:52 UTC 2005

If you would, we prefer bottom posting here.  See

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top-posting

I'll reorder this.

On Fri, Dec 09, 2005 at 11:53:29AM +1300, Grant Allan wrote:
> > Boot your CD 1 to rescue mode (put "linux rescue" at the boot prompt).
> > Let it mount your system on /mnt/sysimage.  At the prompt, do this:
> >
> >   chroot /mnt/sysimage
> >   cat boot/grub/grub.conf
> >
> > See to it that it created a decent grub.conf similar to mine:
> >
> > default=0
> > timeout=5
> > splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
> > hiddenmenu
> > title Fedora Core (2.6.14-1.1644_FC4)
> >         root (hd0,0)
> >         kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.14-1.1644_FC4 ro root=/dev/bobcatvg/root1
> >         initrd /initrd-2.6.14-1.1644_FC4.img
> >
> > Yours will have different details but the same structure.  Then
> >
> >   grub-install /dev/hda
> >   exit
> >   exit
> >
> > Yes, exit twice - once out of the chroot and once out of the rescue
> > shell, and it will reboot.
> >
> > Pop out the CD and it should boot linux.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > --
> > Bob McClure, Jr.
>
> hi,
>
> i have some more news: grub.conf looks OK to me.
> but grub-install generates an error as follows:
>    /dev/hdd1 does not have any corresponding BIOS drive
>
> does that maybe mean that i should jump into BIOS and get it to autodetect
> my hard drives?  i forgot to do that yesterday.

It's probably already doing that.  It's unrelated.

> cheers,
> grant

Just another detail to take care of what the installer missed.  After
you have chrooted to /mnt/sysimage, edit /boot/grub/device.map to add
the line

(hd3)     /dev/hdd

assuming "hd3" is not mapped to some other device.  Note that in
grub.conf, numbering starts at 0, not 1.  Then do the grub-install
thing.  If that doesn't work, you may need to tell us more about the
drive and partitioning arrangement, and post grub.conf, if you can.

Cheers,
robertmcclure at earthlink.net  http://www.bobcatos.com
Peace at any price is inflationary.