RHEL3 on IBM xSeries 366

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Thu Dec 15 19:37:20 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-12-15 at 08:10 -0500, SoftNet Technologies wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I need your kind help.
>
> I am on the way to configure RHEL 3 on IBM xSeries 366 server with 4
> processors. Please tell me how can I check that
> 1. How many processors are in use now.

"# cat /proc/cpuinfo" will reveal how many _cores_ are out there (e.g.
if you have a single Xeon, you'll see two CPUs).

> 2. How can I use all 4 processors.

If you're running the SMP kernel, all available processors will be used.
"top" will reveal the activity level of each processor.

> 3. How can I dedicate any specific process to specific application
> like oracle.

Unless you code for specific "CPU affinity", the system will assign a
processor to use for each thread of concurrency.  You can control what
task goes where by use of the "taskset" command.

> Please guide me for these problems. Can you send me some links from
> where I can get more detailed help.

See "man top", "man taskset" and the text file
"/usr/share/doc/kernel-doc-*/Documentation/filesystems/proc.txt"

-  Time: Nature's way of keeping everything from happening at once.  -