OPening ports

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Thu Dec 15 19:41:55 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-12-15 at 18:28 +0000, jlopes151 at comcast.net wrote:
> I have RHEL 4 installed and want to open ports for an Oracle 10g
> install. Does any one know were I can find information on how this is
> done?

I'm not certain which ports Oracle uses for network communication.  It's
undoubtedly buried in the system documentation somewhere.

Once you find those, you'll need to have them "-j ACCEPT" in your
iptables configuration.

If you're not familiar with iptables config files, I recommend you use
either "redhat-config-securitylevel" (Desktop->System Settings->Security
Level) or something like Firestarter, available for free from
http://firestarter.sourceforge.net.

-      Batteries not included.  Offer not valid in some states.      -
-           Your mileage may vary.  Void where prohibited.           -