LVM Question

Mark McCulligh mmcculli at visualtech.ca
Mon Dec 19 16:33:31 UTC 2005

Hi Group,

I am building a server using Software Raid and plan to setup LVM
(Logical Volume Manager) on the Raid and have a question.  I was reading
the Red Hat  manual on LVM and in their example they created a Volume
Group with Logical Volumes swap, /home and / .   Why would you what to
create the /home mount point?  Would not it be better just to have the
swap and / ? Then /home, /usr. /var, etc.. would share the / storage
space.

Just wondering why would you use LVM, then fix the size of your /home?

Thanks,
Mark.