Logrotate in FC3

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Wed Dec 21 17:46:11 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-12-21 at 08:41 -0200, Rodrigo Faria Tavares wrote:
> Hello,
>
> There is a configuration in /etc/logrotate.d/squid, but the logs access.log,
> cache.log and store.log
> aren´t compressed. Yet, In Debian the files are compressed automatic.
>
> I try a configuration in cron still :
>
> logrotate -s /etc/logrotate.conf, but it isn't resolved.
>
> What configuration, I have to do for compress the logs ?
>
> ps : squid come in 2GB, and the process stop.

You have got to start reading the man pages, Rod.  For example,
the man page for logrotate tells you that if "compress" is in the
/etc/logrotate.conf file, then old log files are compressed by gzip
by default.

If you edit /etc/logrotate.conf, you'll see that "compress" is commented
out.  Change the line:

	#compress

	compress

and the rotated logs will be compressed.  If you'd rather compress
using something like bzips, then add the line:

	compresscmd bzip2

after it, e.g.

	compress
	compresscmd bzip2
-     Veni, Vidi, VISA:  I came, I saw, I did a little shopping.     -