What is /.journal?

Bob McClure Jr robertmcclure at earthlink.net
Sat Dec 24 21:19:52 UTC 2005

On Sat, Dec 24, 2005 at 01:26:15PM -0700, karlp at ourldsfamily.com wrote:
> It's a fairly Large file created when I upgraded to RH v8.0 from 7.0 in
> the root directory.
>
> I don't see anything attached to it with fuser, but it is also
> un-removable...

I don't think you want to remove that.  I think that's the journal for
the ext3 / filesystem.  That's how it regains its sanity if it's
rebooted or powered down without a proper shutdown.

> Oh, and to Rick et al. Merry Christmas and thanks for being there when I
> need help.
>
> --
> karl
>      _/  _/      _/      _/_/_/       ____________   __o
>     _/ _/       _/      _/    _/     ____________  _-\<._
>  _/   _/ arl _/_/_/  _/ earson    KarlP at ourldsfamily.com
> ---
> Senior Consulting Sys/DB Analyst
> http://consulting.ourldsfamily.com
> ---

Merry Christmas,
robertmcclure at earthlink.net  http://www.bobcatos.com
Peace begins not at a Mideast table, but at a Mideast stable