Wireless Help

brad.mugleston at comcast.net brad.mugleston at comcast.net
Mon Dec 26 19:11:53 UTC 2005

Merry Day after Christmas - hope everyone had a good holiday.

Now down to business - To catch everyone up.

Wanted to upgrade my notebook to FC4 from FC2.  The upgrade
didn't work so I formated and did a fresh install of FC4.

As it has a wireless card I needed to install NdisWrapper (or I
think I do) to get it running, note I did find a sys file on the
Linksys web site for this card and it said it was for FC3 - if
this would work without NdisWrapper can someone direct me as to
how to install it?

Back to NdisWrapper - it needs the source code for the current
kernel - in the past I've just downloaded it as an RPM and
followed the instructions.  This time strangeness happened.

The instructions say to link the source to the module directory
with the following command

ln -s /usr/src/linux-<kernel-version> /lib/modules/VERSION/build

I did that replacing "linux-<kernel-version>" and "VERSION"
with the proper (I believe) wording and got the error that the
link was already there. Asuming that it was from the source
install I tried to go on with the NdisWrapper install and got the
error that the link was to the wrong version (which looking at
it, it was - how that happened I have no idea).

I deleted the link and tried to redo it and get an error -
any suggestions on how to procede.  I'm thinking the instructions
are for an older version of FC.

Thanks,

Brad Mugleston, KI0OT

There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those that
understand binary and those that don't.