Issues with rsh and kerberos

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Tue Feb 1 18:40:40 UTC 2005

Waldher, Travis R wrote:
> Ok..
>
> [user at machine ~]$ rsh hostname -n uptime
> krb_sendauth failed: You have no tickets cached
>   9:35am  up 63 days, 19:33,  4 users,  load average: 0.76, 0.61, 0.56
>
> Machine = RHEL client
> Hostname = HPUX 11.11 client
>
> I don't get the Kerberos error running this command against another RHEL
> machine.
>
> I have searched google and found nothing.  Anyone else have any ideas?

I'll bet "hostname" was set up with kerberos user authentication, rather
than simple DES or MD5.  That'd cause the error.  By default, RHEL uses
MD5 (and/or DES), so no error would be no surprise.
- Treat each day as if it's your last...a lot of crying and whining  -
-      usually gets you what you want!              -- Sam Sledge    -