Remote Desktop Connection

brad.mugleston at comcast.net brad.mugleston at comcast.net
Thu Feb 3 00:09:25 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2 Feb 2005, Rick Stevens wrote:

> brad.mugleston at comcast.net wrote:
> > This prigram comes with RedHat 9 and I'm guessing it's there to
> > connect with the same program running on an XP server.
>
> Uh, are you referring to "rdesktop"?

No, looking at the properties I am running  krdc -caption "%c" %i
%m   I take it that it meand "KDE Remote Desktop Connection" but
I could be wrong.  There is no man or info for krdc on my
machine.

> > I can't connect.  I do get an error message when I start RDC
> > telling me I must not have SLP support configured correctly so it
> > can't browse for connections.  How can I configure SLP?  Also, I
> > know the IP for the computer I need to connect to (I can connect
> > to it using RealVNC but I'm getting no where using RDC).  So, I
> > don't know if I need SLP as I'm not browsing (but probably will
> > need to in the future).  I'm getting pressed to use RDC and not
> > Real.
>
> If we're dealing with rdesktop, the other end (the Windows machine) has
> to be running its "terminal services" server.  If the remote end is
> XP/Home, you're out of luck because XP/Home doesn't have a terminal
> services server package and this whole discussion is moot.  You can set
> up "remote assistance" on XP/Home, but it's not quite the same.

Windows XP comes with some Host and Client remote software they
call "Remote Desktop"  you can get the Client for every version
of windows and I was hopeing this was the one for Linux.

> As far as SLP is concerned, I think that means you have to have Samba
> configured and running so it can browse the network and find nodes that
> have terminal services running.  If you know the IP address or DNS
> hostname, you don't need it.

I did a double check before coming home and verified the Host
name and IP - neither gets me in.  In the instuctions for the
Windows client it only talks about using the name (no IP).

> The only reason for not using VNC is because the VNC server at the
> remote end lets you take over the remote machine and only one connection
> at a time is allowed.  I believe the Windows VNC server can be set up to
> allow VNC as a session (like remote desktop) and allow multiple
> connections.
>
> IMHO, I really don't see any benefit in rdesktop over VNC and I can't
> see why you're being pressed to use rdesktop.  We have literally
> hundreds of servers here and we use VNC almost exclusively.  The nice
> thing about VNC is that it works equally well on Windows and Unix/Linux.
> One tool for multiple jobs.  That's a "good thing".

I don't see any benefit either other than the systems guys don't
want another layer of stuff running on the machines.

Thanks, I'll keep checking and reading.  The biggest problem is
Remote Desktop is a generic term so it's hard to cut it down to
just the Windows software running it.

--
Brad Mugleston, KI0OT

There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those that
understand binary and those that don't.