Remote Desktop Connection

brad.mugleston at comcast.net brad.mugleston at comcast.net
Thu Feb 3 03:28:39 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2 Feb 2005, Rick Stevens wrote:

> krdc is KDE's front end to rdesktop.
>
> Again, that's gotta be XP/Pro.  XP/Home doesn't have it.
>
> Do you have iptables running?  rdesktop uses TCP port 3389.
>
> I'm sure it's RDP (remote desktop protocol).

OK so I'm using rdesktop to talk to XP/Pro (actually Home is
suppose to have it but it doesn't by default install it, it's
suppose to be on the disk someplace but Yes we are using Pro at
work.

OK, now we know what I'm doing (that's a major step) has anyone
had the problems I'm having?   I don't believe I'm got iptables
running, I'm behind a different firewall at home and figured I
didn't need the extra headache of keeping iptables going but I may
have started it by mistake (how do I tell?).

Again, I use VPN to get into my work computers then I use RealVNC
to access some of the machines and as they convert machines to
XP/Pro they want me to start using "Remote Desktop" as it comes
with XP/Pro and they have enough problems keeping the machines
working not to have to worry about me wanting to use Linux.

When I start "Remote Desktop Connection" that comes with RedHat 9
I get an error message saying I must not have SLP as it can't
browse the network.   I do have samba working (at least it can
see the windows machines in my house and we share printers).

Using RDC I can't get on any of the XP machines even knowing the
machine name and IP.  Just says it can't find it.

OK, I believe that's what going on.

Suggestions?

Thanks,

Brad